Monday, April 11, 2011

My Name is Nikki

One evening in Atlanta I stopped by Caribou coffee late in the evening with my friend. As we were grabbing a coffee, I noticed a table of Middle Easterners who were talking about us in Arabic. I told my friend she could tell him "ma'a as-salaama" which means goodbye on our way out. Instead, she decided to spark conversation with them.

As I turned around, she was already sitting at their table and chatting away. Of course, they were shocked to find out I was Egyptian. Then, my dear friend told them that her name is Nikki. In any other language that would not be a problem. But in Arabic, Nikki is something you should never say. In fact, it means "f-me". Of course they broke into laughter.

To top it all off, as she is telling them her name, in walks the ONE Egyptian whom I had been out on a date with in Atlanta. He was friends with the group. As we both awkwardly look at each other, all friends ask where we had met. Where else would two Egyptians mean but arablounge?

No comments:

Post a Comment