Sunday, April 17, 2011

Cucumbers for Breakfast

Whenever my Egyptian family is in town, there is a constant aroma of garlic and spices. Every 3 hours a new meal is cooked, and you must eat because that is tradition.

My least favorite meal of the day is Egyptian breakfast. One common item to serve is foul medames. Imagine refried beans in a pita and 800 spices mixed in with it. Now imagine those beans and spices burning (yes, burning whenever you mess it up) in a crock pot all night. That is the smell you awake to in the morning and one that takes 5+ days to clear out.

One poor guy I went out with told me of his trip to Europe. He was a nice guy. As he told me about his trip to Germany, he told me about their breakfast which included cucumbers and tomatoes. He was absolutely appalled by their eating styles and said he could not wait to get back to the states and have his bacon and eggs every morning. All I could do was smile and imagine him waking up to the smell of burnt foul medamas. I don't think he would last 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment