Monday, May 23, 2011

How old are you?

Generally speaking, you can guess someone's approximate age within a few years. My rule of thumb is +10 years and -1 year. If someone is border line 36 years, I'll let it slide (I'm 26). Younger is really hard for me to handle. Maybe because I act like I'm 35 some days?

There is something about a guy who can salsa dance. And he gets even more credit if he asks you to dance versus having to ask him to dance.

I met one of these gentlemen. He was a very good dancer and was a prof at a reputable local university in the sciences (triple bonus). We danced a few times. When I left at the end of the night, he got my number. He seemed a little older, so I asked him how old he was. 32 he said.

Being the stalker that I am, I googled him later on to see if he was a prof and how old he was. Using my advanced math skills, I calculated his age based on a few dates. Either he got his Ph.D. at age 18 or he was 39. Both were equally feasible in my mind. So I did more research. Sadly, the bar was leaning towards a lying 39. The next time I met him out I asked him again how old he was. He stumbled and said 32ish. I told him I thought he was older, and he denied it again. I just let it slide.

The next day, I pulled up the article that showed his real age and sent it to him. Guilty as charged.

Moral of this story: I would actually go out with someone who is 39 and admits his age versus someone who tells me he is 32.

2 comments:

  1. In other words, he was perfect in every way apart from an insecurity about his age?

    Sure, he "lied" to you. The perfect guy would have been honest about his age. But you could have also been honest about your suspicions after having Googled him.

    Moral of the story: you aren't going to find Mr Perfect. But when you find someone that comes close to this ideal, cut them some slack!

    PS: I'm unashamedly defending the blokes on this one! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No - he wasn't perfect in every other way. That was just the breaking point. I did mention to him in that convo that I had looked it up - but he still denied it and said the source must have been wrong. When I emailed it to him, he wrote back and commented on my good detective skills.

    Kosta - I do believe there are some great guys out there. I have met a lot of them recently, too. I haven't posted any good stories from the dating scene - maybe I should do that next?

    On another note, I do know that I am FAR from perfect...

    ReplyDelete